Ty-Histanis is a sustainable neighbourhood, developed by the Tla-o-qui-aht First Nation. The development of single-detached units, duplexes, and multi-family buildings is designed to reduce energy consumption by 50% through a district energy system using renewables, while protecting 40% of the development site for undisturbed natural habitat. Light House facilitated design charrettes and workshops, conducted a life cycle assessment of proposed materials, and guided the development of plans, infrastructure, and housing templates. The project is one of six winning projects under the EQuilibrium™ Communities Initiative, promoting sustainable communities in Canada.
- LocationTy-Histanis, Vancouver Island
- TypeResidential / Community
- CompletionDecember 2010
- CertificationEqulilibrium Net Zero Community
- ClientDavid Nairne Architects
- Services ProvidedVisioning, LCA, sustainable design, certification project management